Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hebrews 6:13-19

Today in church was interesting. The speaker was preaching from Hebrews 6. He was talking about God's promise to Abraham, and how Abraham waited patiently for the Lord. The Scriptures say here that God bound Himself by with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure He would never change His mind. It says an oath is binding. Verse 18 says that God has given both His promise and His oath. And these two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. This is why we who have fled to Him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. vs. 19: This hope isa strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.

I love this passage. It speaks something to me, but I don't know what. I just know I can rest in it.

Remember the post I posted a few days ago with the title "Trusting in His promises"? I kept hearing the words "trust" and "promise", but didn't know what they meant. I think God is trying to make it clear to me. Maybe it is that I can trust in Him and He promises to rescue me. I have had a lot of things happen this past week. I have been struggling with two things and then I get news about my sister and that whole situation. I am trying to do everything on my own strength, which is another thing the preacher was talking about not doing today. I think God is calling me to simply trust in Him that He promises to rescue me and be my strength.

"Is this what you are trying to tell me, Lord?"

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I have been reading a lot about covenant and what it is and means. God uses the image of marriage as the perfect example of what covenant is. The ideal, true marriage (the way God created it to be) involves both partners, connected together as one flesh, and faithful to each other. We know that God is faithful, and we see that He remained faithful even when His people rejected Him. He may have sifted them and sent them into exile, but He stayed true. He redeemed Israel, He brought out a remnant, and He saved all through Christ's blood.

    As God was faithful to Israel (and still is), He is faithful to us. We can count on Him to always be on our side. We can go to Him with all our problems. And no matter what happens, we can trust His good and perfect will to use all things for the good.

    I'm praying for you Mindy. No matter what happens with your sister, you can trust God to help you continue on in His truth. He's there for you. As you said in your post, TRUST in Him.

    ReplyDelete