Monday, July 11, 2011

My Grand Adventure

This summer has been one unsure day right after the next. I never know what my life is going to look like from day to day. I guess that keeps life interesting, right?

As I write, I'm sitting in a Starbucks in downtown Indianapolis. I got to Indy on Thursday afternoon after spending a week in Marion, Indiana, with a family from my church there. I left home on July 1st, after being home for a week from my last trip.

Here's what my life has looked like this summer so far: I spent about 4 weeks at home and then left for Indianapolis on the 20th. My church's youth group was headed to church camp in Hartford City, which is right by Taylor University (my Alma Mater). So, I rode up with them to Indy and got dropped off there to spend time with my best friend and roommate from Junior year. Wednesday of that week, we drove to Marion where I stayed with a family from my church. Marion is right by Upland, which is where Taylor is. I was there until Friday, when I caught a ride home with my church's youth group. I spent a week at home, and then left again on July 1st to go back to Marion. I stayed there until July 7th and then left for Indianapolis. When I talked to my friend about going to stay with her in Indy, it was decided that I could stay with her for a week, which would put me at July 14th. So, I said that was fine, but I had no idea what I was going to do once that week was up. I wasn't sure I wanted to go home or back to Marion. But, I figured I would decide when the week was over.

I was on Facebook Wednesday evening when I got a message from a college friend who lives in California. She wanted to know what I was doing in the next few months because she and her mom wanted to fly me out for a few weeks of fun, relaxation, and adventure. I read the message and couldn't believe what I was reading. We chatted on Facebook chat for a few minutes and then her mom started talking to me on chat, too. She asked when I wanted to come and if I could get to Indianapolis to the airport and that they were thinking sometime next week. I was shocked. I told them that I was already going to be in Indianapolis on that Thursday and that that would work out perfectly. So, they booked a flight for 6:30 Thursday evening, July 14th.

In one moment I went from not knowing where I was going to go to knowing exactly where I'd be going. My friend and her mom decided to get a one way ticket so that we could leave the return date open, because I'm just not sure when I'm going to need to come back. My return to Indiana depends on what happens with Mercy Ministries, as I'm still waiting on that process. I'm not quite sure why I'm being sent to California, but I'm very grateful. There are so many adventures waiting for me there!

My friend and I were talking last night before we drifted off to sleep about how she has seen the hand of God on and in my life these last few years that she has known me. I don't always see it, but I think with this, I'm beginning to. I don't know what God is up to, but I do know that this is going to be a grand adventure. I have never been on a plane before, nor have I been to the West Coast. Both of these things have been dreams of mine, and now they are coming true. I never thought they would. And the amazing thing is that it's really costing me nothing, which is even more of a blessing!

I am amazed at the people God has put into my life who bless me and love me when there is no reason for them to. Many times I just wonder why, because I don't deserve any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment