Monday, July 19, 2010

Darkness.
Stench of stale urine.
Hunger.
Addiction.
Fear.
Lost.
Dirty.
Homeless.

These are things I encountered tonight as I walked the streets of downtown Fort Wayne. I was with a group from my church, handing out water, juice, burritos, and crackers.

I met John, Jeremy, and Markus at a park. They were sitting on a bench, along with their belongings. One of them had a pair of shorts hanging over the bench.

I met Daniel and Greg while they were sitting on a porch at a church. There was a look in their eyes that I can't really describe. Was it thanks? Hopelessness? Fear? Shame?

I met another John in the darkness of a train viaduct. He was sitting under it in the very back corner. The stench of stale urine was overwhelming. I could tell many people lived there, because their belongings were there, lined up around the edges. It was like apartments, but without the walls. I prayed for John and we were on our way.

It happened to be the Three Rivers Festival. There were so many people walking the streets, completely oblivious to the fact that there were homeless right in their vicinity. They were oblivious, as I had once been. They were carrying on in their drunken merriment like there was no care in the world; like there was nothing wrong with the world.

But, there is. There are many things wrong with the world.

Like the reality that there are real people with names, hearts, lungs, stomachs, minds, backgrounds, feelings, and more than likely, families.

After last night, I find myself today wondering about those I met. Did they make it through the night? And if they did, what did they do today? Did they get to eat? Did any of them decide to change? Throw off their addictions? Did any of them get help? Accept Christ?

I hope to one day see these men again. Maybe in Heaven or maybe still on this side of Heaven, but no longer homeless and addicted. I am glad to have been able to be a part of their lives, even for a few minutes.

After this experience, I am reminded of Matthew 25, and that I am to be the hands and feet of Jesus. If I don't go, who will? Who will be the hands and feet that I was supposed to be? Not only am I being His hands and feet, but I am serving Him.

It says in Matthew 25:35, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'"

3 comments:

  1. Powerful read. I am glad you had the opportunity to minister to these precious ones. I am sure the love of Christ blessed and changed them. What ministry group joined you in this outreach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So on target as to where God's heart is. Go into the highways and hedges and compel them to come....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Christ's love blessed them! It was a joint group with Westview Alliance church and another church in the Fort Wayne area, but I'm not sure the name. I can give you Donny's email address if you want to contact him if you are interested in going with them sometime. I would love to do it again and again. I am very glad I had this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete