Thursday, July 8, 2010

Time to Fly


I was walking my bike back from Bible study last night because it was too dark to ride. My friend was walking me back because of the late hour and we were having a good conversation. I was distracted, however, when I felt something brush against my arm. I thought it might have been a moth or a butterfly's wing, but it wasn't. I looked down at my arm and saw the craziest thing on the right handlebar of my bike: a baby robin.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing! There, right by my right hand on my handlebar, sat a baby robin. I said something to my friend and he let out a shriek, totally taken by surprise as I was. I had no idea what to do! I mean, it just sat there. It even looked like it was at peace right there on my bike. I had to show someone besides my friend.

As we walked the bike back to the chapel we had just left, the robin continued to sit there. We got to the chapel and my friend went in and told the others who were still there. They came out and saw what none of us could believe.

One of my good friends was visiting and we had just got done talking of what God has been doing in my life before I left the first time. She came down the steps and said that she needed to apologize to me. I didn't understand. She said that when she was talking to me, she heard God saying He had something to say to me about birds.

Crazy, I know. She thought the same thing.

She told me that she felt God was saying that before, when I looked out of the nest, what was ahead seemed scary. But now, God has taught me how to fly and I know the joy of being in His love and plans.

It made sense to me. When the old me saw things that were coming, she was afraid.

A while back, I was talking to my roommate. I found out that a couple of people that I looked to for wisdom, truth, and help were not going to be in my life this next year. God was moving them on. The old me would have panicked at this. But the new me, however, was calm. I felt God's soothing voice saying that it was going to be okay; that I was going to be okay. I felt Him saying that it was time to fly with the wings and soar with the freedom He's given me.

All I know is that my God is awesome and it's time to fly!

I am like this precious baby bird that He has taught how to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment