Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"I'll be your best friend"

How many times have we heard this or even said this phrase, "I'll be your best friend"? Usually, it's said when one person is trying to bribe another, usually among children. I think it's funny how, if they don't get what they are after, the child will take back their offer of best friendship.

I was in the car on the way back from camping with a family from my church when I tuned into the conversation going on in the back between a 5 year old and a 13 year old. The 5 year old was trying to get the older girl to do something, but she was refusing. So, to try and bribe her, she used the, "I'll be your best friend" gimmick. When the older girl said no, she said, "Fine. Then I won't."

I had to laugh, because how many times did I try this when I was a kid? I'm sure God was laughing right along with me, but He was also speaking to me.

He reminded me that He has an offer of best friendship on the table, but it is there for my taking no matter what I do or don't do. He will never take it back. He's holding out His hands, offering a friendship that is more than any earthly one. It doesn't have any contract attached to it, and it's not a bribe. All He wants is you. Honestly.

When He says, "I'll be your best friend," He means it. All you have to do is accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment