Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Consider it Joy

I have always thought that people were crazy when they said to be joyful about the hard times. I didn't understand. How was I supposed to be happy about the really crummy things that have happened and/or were happening?

But, I have come to understand that if some of the things that have happened in my life never would have happened, I wouldn't be where or who I am today.

This goes back to what I was saying about thanking Him for the storms. They are the things that have shaped me into the woman I am today.

If Adam and Eve wouldn't have fallen, would we be here today?

If God had been selfish, instead of giving up His Son to die for us, would we have life?

If Jesus had refused to go through with his crucifixion, would we be the ones dying on crosses?

If my dad would not have abused me and would have been in my life, I wouldn't be able to help others and I wouldn't know God as Father like I do.

If the school I was at for my first two years of college would not have closed, would I have met the people who have had an impact in my life this last year? Would I be where I am today spiritually and emotionally?

If the situation in November would not have happened, and I didn't go through that darkness, would I be free today? What about healed...whole...new...alive?

See, it's the dark times that make the light possible. If we are always in the light, we cannot see the light apart from the light. But, when we are in the dark, we can clearly see the light. It penetrates our darkness.

In the NIV, James admonishes us to "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."

The NLT reads: "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing."

My hope is that when I fall into the next dark time, I will look back at this and remember, then consider my current trial pure joy, for I know the reward at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment