Sunday, June 6, 2010

Walking on Water

So, I just finished reading a book by Pete Gall titled "My Beautiful Idol". It was a really good book and I would definitely read it again. It was really cool, because Pete asked a question that I have asked many times. I have always thought I was crazy for asking this question. And if I am, that makes two of us.

The question is: "What if I step out on the water? Will the water hold?"

I know it's crazy, but I've always wondered. I mean, Peter did it. And the water held. He only began to sink when he doubted. But, what if I stepped out on the water, like the lake I sat by today. Would the water hold? Does it count on my faith and how much I have in God making the water hold? What if I could walk on water? How much faith does it take? A mustard seed's worth? I could muster that.

And what if I do step out and it holds? I will have found a new faith and a stronger belief in God. Would it show that we do not believe the way we say we do? I mean, don't we say we believe we can walk on water? Don't we say that we can do anything in the Lord's strength? If we step out, and the water holds, won't that prove we haven't really believed that until that very moment?

Unfortunately, the way our minds are, we are thinking about stepping out, and are even sitting on the very edge. But, a thought comes, and we find ourselves thinking about that thing, and before we know it, we have forgotten about the very question about stepping out.

But, what do we have to lose? I mean, really. What is there to lose in stepping out on a body of water, having the faith it will hold? Even if it doesn't hold, what have we lost? A little bit of our pride? But, "there is an incredible experience to gain if it does hold."

Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment