Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Father's Love

How do you know your parents love you?

They say they would give their lives for you, and they would.
They love you no matter what you do.
They support you.
They pick you up when you cry.
They are there for you.
They help you when you are hurt or hurting.

I grew up without my dad, and my relationship with my mom was not what it should have been. But, I know she loves me. She tells me I can tell her anything. She says and does all of the things I listed above.

But my dad...

He was never there to say or do any of the above things. I don't know if he loves me, because he has never shown it. He has only shown me hurt. He is my parent, yes, but does he love me?

How do I know God as my Father loves me? I have somehow modeled Him after my dad, beliving He doesn't love me. I know he does love me, I think, but how do I accept it? How do I accept that He loves me? I can't fathom it. I've never had it and I don't know how to accept it.

I know He loves me.

He said He would give His life for me, and He did.
He loves me no matter what I do.
He supports me: with His arms.
He picks me up when I cry.
He is there for me always.
He heals me when I am hurt or hurting.
And He does so much more than I can list.

But, how do I accept His love?

How do I accept the Father's love when I've never known a father's love?

1 comment:

  1. As a Father it is hard to know children are hurt and many dont know the love of a earthly father,But our Father in heaven knows how to love and how to show that Love.

    ReplyDelete