Monday, October 18, 2010

Meeting my dad

So, I want to thank everyone who prayed for me during this time of meeting my dad. I want to let you all know how it went.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't think I felt any fear. I walked into it fearless. I was pretty nervous and excited, though. I feel like I could feel everyone's prayers. The day before this meeting, I felt like I was in the shadow of His wing all day. I felt so much peace and calm. I'm pretty sure I was in His arms the entire time.
Anyway, we met at my church at 4:00 on Saturday. He walked in and said "Hey." I said hey back and then he said that I looked good. At that point, I started to cry. I'm not sure what he said after that, because I took the 4 or 5 steps towards him and hugged him. He took me into his arms and hugged me back. This was our first hug in 18 years. I, of course, cried. Hard. I couldn't believe that I was actually feeling my dad's arms around me. He asked if I was okay and told me that he loved me. I was speechless.
After that, I was pretty shaky. We sat down and talked. We talked about my writing: I showed him the report I had done as my internship this summer. I also showed him some things that had recently been published. My roommate and best friend from last year, Laurie, was with me. In one of my letters to him, I had told him that I kind of played the piano. He wrote me back and said he'd love to hear me play. Well, all churches have pianos. So, I pointed it out and he asked if I was going to play for him. I said yes and Laurie and I headed to the piano.
We played our duet (Heart and Soul) first so I could loosen up, and then I set to playing the piano for my dad. When I was done, I felt much more loosened up. He said it was beautiful and that he could listen to it all day.
I got my first birthday present from my dad since I was 2 yesterday, too. When I read the card, I cried, and he was crying, too. It meant a lot.
After that, we continued talking about random things, mostly about my half-sister. It was fun hearing about her. I can't wait to meet her someday.
We talked until about 6 and decided we were hungry. My mom, dad, Laurie, and me went to dinner together. I sat by my dad and enjoyed eating together. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder when we had Laurie take some pictures and I felt safe. I didn't want him to remove his arm. I wanted to put my head on him as his arm was around me. But, I didn't.
When it was time to leave, I really didn't want him to. I hugged him many times, but none seemed to be enough to make up for all the lost hugs. I kept wanting one more. It's hard being back at school, because I just want him here. I want to be able to sit and talk with him, catching up and getting to know him. I also just wish I had another day or two to let it all sink in and process it. I don't even know how to process it.
Oh my word! I met my dad yesterday! I hugged him and he hugged me. Wow! Is this real? I'm sure I'll write more later, but this is all I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment