Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Once Was So Lost...

I once was so lost,
but now I'm found.
I was so bound,
but now I'm free.
He has broken my chains,
and I'll say it again:

I am free!

I sat in darkness so dark
I thought I'd never escape.
I thought light was a thing of my past.
I thought it would never pierce my darkness.

But I was wrong.
Light came.

My demons surrounded me,
taunted me,
haunted me.
They made escape seem impossible.

I dreamed of things at night that haunted me in the day.
My demons laughed in my face those nightmarish nights.
They tormented me,
refusing to let go.

I had cutting,
and I had fear.
I had anger,
and I had pain.
I had shame,
and I had hate.

My head was downcast,
my eyes refused to meet yours.

It seemed I had lost my faith.
I clawed at what I doubted, and could not see.
The demons inside screamed when I was in church.
They demanded I deny His existence.
But, I couldn't.
Those words would not come out of my mouth.
Something would not let them.

I should be dead,
in the ground.

That demon suicide teased me.
He almost won.
But, I had a Spirit inside me, fighting for me.
He was my will to live, to remain alive,
even when I wanted to give up.

By God's grace alone I am alive.

He sustained me.
He carried me.
He was my light.
He brought me up out of the pit I was in.
He set my feet on the rock,
and put a new song in my mouth.
He filled me to overflowing with joy.

And He gave me the victory.

Today is April 7th.
I celebrate two months of victory over and freedom from my demons of self-injury and suicidal thoughts.

I'll declare it for all to hear:

I AM FREE!!!

He broke my chains and delivered me!

I AM FREE!!!

2 comments:

  1. you are amazing. this was so inspiring, i'm so happy for you that you've made it two months..congratulations! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this was inspiring! Thanks on the congrats and God bless you, too!! How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete