Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tripping on fear

I went hiking today around Pinecrest Lake. It was a beautiful day for a hike, with the birds singing and the sun shining off of the lake. But something could have caused me to miss out on the beauty around me: fear. Let me explain:

The trail that I was on was such that you had to look where you were going at all times, otherwise you could trip on protruding tree roots, rocks, sticks, pine cones, etc. Well, guess who tripped? I didn't see a protruding tree root and tripped on it. I stumbled for a few seconds, trying to catch myself, but I ended up tumbling to the ground.

I got up, however, and continued on the hike. For a few steps, I wrestled with fear. What if it happens again? What if I fall again and it's worse than just a scraped hand? I could have turned around and not finished the hike. But I would have missed out on all the beauty surrounding me, on what was ahead of me.

I realized that this often happens in life. We trip on something and fall to the ground. But, instead of getting back up and continuing on, we either stay down or turn back around for fear of falling again. By doing that, we miss out on what's ahead of us.


So next time you trip, get up and keep going. It might happen again, and it might be worst than the fall before it, but the beauty of life is worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment