Sunday, March 27, 2011

In His Palm

Today was the day I returned to Taylor. But, before the duties of school began, I had one more stop to make. My friend and I went to Ohio to visit one of our friends who could use some cheering up. While there, we stopped at Rural King so she could get some hay and things for her rabbits. I was trying to find them after I used the restroom, but found something else instead.

I had just made a statement yesterday that I wanted to hold a baby chick. And that is just what I found.

Dozens upon dozens of little baby chicks of all different kinds were in crates that lined part of an aisle. I heard their chirping first, and then I saw them. I was so amazed and surprised! I picked one up and held it. It was yellow and of the softest fuzz, since it was too young to have feathers yet. Putting that one down and moving to another box, I picked up a little brown one with wings and feathers. It still had its down feathers, but was so soft.

I stood there and held it in my hand. It settled down after a few minutes and got into a ball in my hand and just laid there. It almost fell asleep a few times! I was so surprised that it felt so safe in my hands...in the palm of my hand.

As I was watching the chick in my palm and petting it with my other finger, God was speaking. I realized that this was what God wanted for me, that it was where I should and could be. I could have the safety of His palm if I would just relax enough and stop struggling. I could be safe there, if only I would allow myself and allow Him to hold me.

It's been a rough few months, and I know there are more storms and more darkness to come. But, I know that I am in His palm, and there I am safe no matter what happens. I may falter and stumble, but He still has me. He has never let me go, even when I couldn't see Him or feel Him. He was there as He always has been and always will be.

I know He has me written on the palm of His hand, but I also know that He has me close to His heart, just as I held the chick in my palm close to my heart. It isn't going to be easy, but I am going to try to trust Him, even when I get sucked into darkness in this process. I have hope, because He is the God of my hope.

He is the God of my everything, and I am in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment