Thursday, June 27, 2019

Whose Strength?

Things have been hard lately. Not just hard, but unexpectedly hard. If I’m honest, I’ve been floundering. I’ve not been the strong Christ follower I want to be in the face of adversity. But, I guess it’s an opportunity to grow, right?

Several times throughout this last week I have found myself saying, “I can’t do this,” whatever ‘this’ is. Tonight on my drive home after a time of worship, Philippians 4:13 came to my mind. It’s one of those verses that I under appreciate. If you aren’t familiar with it, it says, “I can do all things through Christ who is my strength.”

Notice the word, ‘all’. It doesn’t say, “I can do some things through Christ who is my strength.” It doesn’t say, “I can do most things through Christ who is my strength.” It doesn’t even say, “I can do all things through my own strength.” Because let’s be honest, we can’t do much on our own strength. I know I can’t. Well, I’m learning that I can’t.

“I can do all things through Christ who is my strength.”

I am a limited being. So are you. But Christ, He is unlimited. He never runs out of strength, unlike me. Yet too many times I depend on my own strength. No wonder I crash and burn in the face of adversity. If I can do all things through Him who is my strength, then why don’t I depend on His strength? Maybe it’s because I really don’t believe that I can do all things through Him as my strength. I think I need to reexamine what I believe.

Here’s the deal. I can try to do this thing called life in my own strength and fail, or I can do it in His strength. Whose strength am I going to choose? I hope I choose His strength. It’s amazing and pretty ridiculous that the God of the universe, the strongest being the world has ever known, offers me His strength so that I can do all things. And to think that I want to walk in my own strength. I think that’s the more ridiculous thing.

Because my Strong God offers me His strength, I can absolutely do whatever ‘this’ is. I can handle whatever comes my way, because I’ve got His strength to walk in. I can do all things, but only through Christ who is my strength. Whose strength are you walking in?

No comments:

Post a Comment