Friday, June 28, 2019

Fear or Faith?

Have you ever been in a boat on a lake when the wind is strong? I have. I went with a friend a few years ago to kayak on the lake. It was a windy day, which made rowing difficult. The wind made the water choppy and kept pushing me farther away from shore. My kayak bounced to and fro, and rowing was more exhausting than usual. Except for the kayak part, it reminds me of a story in the Bible.

Jesus had just fed five thousand people and, in need of some time to pray, had sent the disciples by boat to meet him on the other side of the lake. Scripture tells us that later that night ‘the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”' 
-Matthew 14:24-27

Now, I don’t know about you, but what happens next isn’t something I would have expected. I would have expected the disciples to say, “Oh, it’s You. Whew!” But, that’s not what happens.

“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” 
-Matthew 14:28-31

I don’t understand why Peter responded the way he did, but I do know that Scripture is for our benefit. Second Timothy 3:16-17 says that, ‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.’ Through these Scriptures in Matthew 14, I see an important principle God wants to teach me.

When Peter had his eyes locked on Jesus, he was able to walk on the waves. But when he put his eyes on the wind, everything changed. It wasn’t seeing the wind that made Peter sink; it was fear.
In a conversation with a friend the other day, I realized that I have been looking at a situation when my eyes should be on Jesus. When the situation appears to be getting better, I feel hopeful that everything is going to be okay. But when it looks like it’s not improving, my hope sinks. Not only does my hope sink, though, but I become afraid and I sink.

When Jesus reaches out his hand to catch Peter, He says to him, “You of little faith...why did you doubt?” Maybe Peter doubted Jesus’ ability to sustain his walk on the water in spite of the wind. Maybe he doubted who Jesus really was. I don’t know for sure what Jesus’ question was regarding, but I do think that if I am truly believing Jesus is who He says He is, then I don’t have any room for doubt or fear that He can’t do what He says He’ll do. When I look at the situation and become afraid, what I’m really doing is doubting that Jesus will take care of me. I’m giving way to fear rather than faith. And fear makes me sink.

And I don’t know about you, but I want to walk on the water.

Lord, please help me to keep my eyes on you, and not the situation around me. Jesus, increase my faith. I believe; help me overcome my unbelief. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment