Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Trust Me...

Has anyone ever told you to trust them? I'm sure we've all heard it multiple times in our lives and in multiple forms:

"Just trust me."
"Trust me, you'll love it!"
"Trust me. It'll be good."
"Believe me, it'll be okay."
"I know...believe me."
"I know...trust me."

Any of those sound familiar?

I found a bunch of pennies the other day.
Since I read one of those "forward this" emails during my Freshman year of college, pennies have always been to me God's way of asking, "Do you trust Me?" He's always asking me that, probably because I don't fully trust Him.

Trust has always been a big issue for me. ALWAYS. But He has never stopped asking that question. Especially lately, trust is a necessity. There are so many things going on in my world that are out of my control, that I desperately need to trust Him. He knows this, so is continuously asking me to trust Him.

But, my answer has continuously been, "No". Instead, I'm worried about the outcome of some situations.

I'm afraid to trust. Remember that I said trust has always been a big issue? Well, if you forgot, let me say it again: trust has always been a big issue for me. I've had my trust betrayed. I've been hurt because I trusted. You might be thinking, "But, God's not like man...." Yeah, I know that. But that doesn't help my heart to trust. That doesn't cause my walls and guards to crumble to the ground. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

But that's not to say God doesn't try. He's trying right now. He's speaking a language I understand to help my heart to trust Him. That language is this:

I opened this post by asking if anyone has ever said to you, "Just trust me...." Usually, when someone says that, it's because they have experienced for themselves what you are about to experience, and they know it's good. Or, it's more than likely because the outcome of whatever they're asking you to trust them about is going to be good. Right? Otherwise, they wouldn't say it.

God knows that the outcome of the situations I'm in are going to be good. Otherwise, He wouldn't be asking me to trust Him.

I'm reminded of Jeremiah 29:11,
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
 as well as Proverbs 3:5-6,
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.
[Honestly, all of this is head-knowledge...right now. Hopefully, it'll become heart-knowledge for me. But, in the mean time, I thought I'd share what God showed me with this. It helps my heart to grow closer to trusting Him when He shares things with me that I can make sense of intellectually and logically. That was the language I was speaking of.]

If He didn't mean it...if it wasn't true, He wouldn't have said it. Right? So while my heart doesn't yet trust Him fully, it is a little bit closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment