Thursday, June 19, 2014

Something Worth Fighting For

I went on a run today in Murphy's, CA after my counseling appointment. I ended up at the new memorial for those who have lost their lives serving our country. I found a place to sit, and then stared at this:



 I was captivated. I couldn't stop looking at it. Never have I been so captivated by a sculpture like this. Honestly, it's never had my interest. But today I couldn't stop looking at it.

And I couldn't help but sit and think.

I thought about the battle this man must have had to face, and many others like him. I couldn't help but think about why he would choose to fight, or about what the cost of fighting might be.

And did you see his face?

The look on his face is that of determination. He is on a mission. But, why?

Because he knows that what he is fighting for is worth fighting for. He is fighting for freedom. Isn't that what every soldier in every battle fights for?

In the midst of being so captivated by this sculpture and my thoughts about it, I couldn't help but think about my own battle.

When I was in college, my best friend would always ask me,
"Mindy, what are we fighting for?" 
"Freedom," I'd say.
Because that is what I was fighting for.

And it's what I'm still fighting for. The battle has been and is so long and hard and I've lost my focus and it doesn't seem to be worth it.

But it is, because freedom of any kind is always worth fighting for. I don't always see that it's worth it, though, especially when the battle is raging and I'm bloody and worn tired from the fight. But, just like this soldier had an army with him, I have one with me to remind me that there is something worth fighting for and that this battle is not the end.

It's only the beginning.

And the beginning is also worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment