Friday, October 4, 2013

Throw it Aside

I don't know about you, but when I run, I can't have anything in my hands, on my back, in my pockets....I don't know that I could run in sweatpants, either. If I am going to run, I can't have anything encumbering me.

Dictionary.com's definition of encumber is
"to weigh down; to impede or hamper the function or activity of"
Hebrews 12:1 admonishes us to
"strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us." (AMP)
The same is true for life as it is for running: if there are things weighing you down or impeding you, you aren't going to run well. We have to throw aside every encumbrance, including the sin that so easily trips us up.

And we can do that! God's grace allows us to throw off the sin! He has forgiven us, so we don't have to hold onto it anymore.

Here is something I wrote back in August of this year that goes so very well with this.
"I walked into church this morning feeling like a pack horse. 
And I was.
I had my purse, jacket, water bottle, Bible bag, and keys in hand, on my shoulder, and in my arms.
I went into the sanctuary and found a seat, but just stood there with my "stuff" while worship began. In a few minutes, I finally put it all down. 
Then, my arms and I were free to clap and raise my hands."
I couldn't worship with all that stuff in my hands, on my shoulders, and in my arms. It was encumbering. Neither can we run the race set before us if we are holding onto a bunch of stuff.

Pack horses can't run. So, throw it all aside and run!

1 comment: