Sunday, April 3, 2011

Carried

(VERSE 1)
If everything comes down to love
Then just what am I afraid of
When I call out Your name
Something inside awakes in my soul
How quickly I forget I'm Yours

(PRE-CHORUS)
I'm not my own
I've been carried by You
All my life

(CHORUS)
Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down
Your love sets me free

(VERSE 2)
When my life is like a storm
Rising waters all I want is the shore
You say I'll be ok
Make it through the rain
You are my shelter my from the storm

(CHORUS)
Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down
Your love sets me free

(PRE-CHORUS)
I am not my own
I've been carried by you all my life

(CHORUS)
Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down
Your love sets me free

(CHORUS)
Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down
Your love sets me free

(CHORUS 2)
You've become my hearts desires
I will sing Your praises higher
Your love sets me free
(Your love sets me free)
Your love sets me free
(You love sets me free)
Your love sets me free

I've been listening to this song a lot lately. I love the lyrics because they give me hope. I love the line that says, "I am not my own/ I've been carried by you all my life"

I don't always know that He is carrying me, because a lot of times I feel like I am walking by myself. In Psalm 68:19 says, "Praise the Lord; praise God our savior! For each day He carries us in His arms." We've often seen, heard, or read the Footprints poem and probably have it almost memorized by now. But, do we take it to heart?

I know I haven't in the past. It's been a nice thought, but that's all it's been.

I had the opportunity to visit a friend this weekend for a few hours whom I hadn't seen since December. We spent time at the park, playing on the playground like kids and sitting by the river. We talked about random things, but also shared our pain. We are both going through a similar healing process that involves a lot of pain. It was good to be able to talk to her because she understands my pain, and I can understand hers. It was good to be able to comfort her and receive comfort back.

At the end of our visit when we were saying goodbye, she pulled the ring she was wearing from off her finger and held it out to me. I didn't know what to say, but I took it and put it on my finger. I don't understand her gesture, but I'm sure one day, I will.

The ring says, "...it was then that I carried you..." and has footprints where there are no words. It's a big ring, so that when I am wearing it, I can't help but feel its presence on my finger. I am constantly reminded that it is there.

And it is a constant reminder that He does indeed carry me. He has always carried me in the darkest times of my life when I could not walk. I know that He is carrying me right now, despite the fact that I can't feel it. Life is pretty difficult right now. If you've read my previous posts, you'd know that a lot of things have been going on that no one should have to deal with. But, He is carrying me through. It is the only way I'm going to get through all of this.

"But, Lord, you said that you would be there to walk with me. Why weren't you? Where were you when this was happening? Where were you when I was enveloped by this darkness and I was depressed and suicidal and was cutting myself? Where were you when my world fell apart? Where were you when I was having memories and flashbacks and the pain was so intense that I didn't know when it would subside? I only see one set of footprints during those times. And you said you would be there. So where were you?!?"

"My child, my beautiful daughter, it was in those times that I was carrying you. You only see one set of footprints because they are Mine. I was carrying you in my arms like a shepherd carries His wounded sheep. I love you and I was right there the whole time. You were in my arms the entire time. I never left you. I will never leave you. I promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment