Sunday, December 13, 2009

Psalm 27:13-14

Amplified

"[What, what would have become of me] had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living! Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your hearts be stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord."



NLT

"Yet I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."



NIV

"I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"





I love all three versions of these two verses. They say basically the same thing, but are slightly different. I love that the NIV says "I believe". I've been having a hard time believing that He is good. The NLT says that "Yet I am confident". Before that 'yet' was a bunch of pain and hurt. Much was going on, but he says that "Yet I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness...." And, not only that, but it will be in the land of the living. This means that he knows that He will see the Lord's goodness not only when he dies, but while he still lives!



This is a hard concept for me to grasp. I have so many lies that I've been believing about God. These lies keep me from believing that He is good and keep my walls up to keep Him out. I realized that I need to step out in bold faith and see what God is made of. It's almost a challenge to God. I can see myself, waving at God to bring it on, challenging Him to show Himself true to His Word. That's what this is. Why else does it say to wait on the Lord?



David admonishes us to wait for the Lord. I feel this request is to wait for Him to show that He is who He says He is. This is what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for Him to show me that He is good as He says; waiting to see that He won't hurt me, as His Word says He won't; waiting to see that He isn't going to use me like my fears say; waiting to see if these lies are just that: lies.



But this takes a bold faith. This means stepping out and tasting to see if it's safe without knowing all the details. So, as David tells me, I am going to be brave and have courage as I step out to the unknown, waiting on Him to show me He is who He says He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment