Sunday, June 11, 2023

From the Ashes

 Over the last several years, parts of California have been devastated by wildfires. Flames ravaged communities and forests, destroying thousands of acres of woodland and wrecking havoc in towns and cities. Several towns have been burnt to nothing but a heap of ashes. Driving past previous fire areas, one can see the burn scars on trees where whole forests were destroyed. As time has passed, one can see something else, too: new life sprouting up from the ashes.

Throughout my life, I have often felt like a wildfire has swept through, destroying everything in its path. Hopes and dreams have been burnt to the ground through abuse, betrayal, rejection, and abandonment. Relational bridges have been destroyed, leaving only ashes. So many places in my life seem to have been devastated, specifically by trauma. I can see the burn scars where the proverbial fire has swept through. But, as time has passed, I can also see new life coming from the ashes. 

It’s fascinating that forest fires can be helpful in encouraging the growth of new trees and plants. Forest fires can help clear dead trees, leaves, and competing vegetation from the forest floor so new plants can grow (mylandplan.org). In California, for example, “prescribed fires” are used by forest managers to add nutrients to the soil and rejuvenate plant life. However, for large, unprecedented, destructive fires, active efforts to assist recovery are often needed (frontlinewildfire.com). 

In my life, there have been ‘fires’ used by God, my Forest Manger, to encourage new growth in me. And at times, there have been destructive fires used by my enemy to try and destroy me. I am so thankful for those who have assisted me in the recovery from the destructive ones. And I’m extremely grateful for the “prescribed fires” God has used to grow me, to clear away the muck and dead things and even the things that compete for my attention, in order to sprout something new. From the ashes, new life is born. May it be true in my life and in yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment